Let’s all spread the joy of serendipity! There’s no question when you encountered a serendipity event, it made you smile, didn’t it?! Of course it did! That magical moment when you least expect it — when something delightful happened and you realized that the universe has conspired to bring this to you!
Made You Smile Back is thrilled to be sharing this engaging and delightful article about the joy of serendipity! Join me as we explore the various meanings of this wonderous word and the connection it has with coincidences and synchronicities.
A fun YouTube video will be offered as well as examples of serendipity events. Did you know that there are ways to open yourself to receiving frequent serendipity events and even knowing the best places to receive them!
Finally, Made You Smile Back shall present 10 ways showing how to spread the joy of serendipity to everyone!
Is it ‘Luck’ or ‘Accident’?
First things first. Did you know there are really a few different meanings on how ‘serendipity’ is defined? Let me share with you my findings on some of the more popular internet online ‘dictionaries’.
Let’s start with the ‘go-to’ of all online sources, Wikipedia.
Serendipity means an unplanned, fortunate discovery.”Wikipedia© As Of 09/19/2019
This is the briefest definition I came across. But it just didn’t feel worthy enough for this wondrous word, so I continued my research. Alas, Merriam-Webster® did not disappoint.
… the phenomenon of finding valuable or agreeable things not sought for.”Merriam-Webster Dictionary ® As Of 09/19/2019
♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦
But what I was most impressed with was Merriam-Webster® also included a ‘thesaurus’ definition as well:
Literary: the unexpected occurrence of or faculty for finding valuable or agreeable things that are not soughtThey found each other by pure serendipity.
Synonyms and Near Synonyms of serendipity:
♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦
But the ‘creme dele creme’ online dictionary that gave our wonderful word, ‘serendipity’ the description that was most worthy was rather a new site known as ‘Vocabulary.com’
“If you find good things without looking for them, serendipity — unexpected good luck
— has brought them to you.
Vocabulary.com – As of 09/19/2019
Serendipity does not come from Latin or Greek, but rather was created by a British nobleman in the mid 1700s from an ancient Persian fairy.
The meaning of the word, good luck in finding valuable things unintentionally, refers to the fairy tale characters who were always making discoveries through chance.”
♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦
So, as an example of a ‘serendipitous event’, you can thank serendipity if you find a pen or pencil at an empty desk just as you walk into an exam and realize that you forgot yours.
Weaving Synchronicities & Coincidences into Serendipity
In learning how to spread the joy of serendipity, we also need to take a closer look at how coincidences and synchronicities weave into the ‘big’ picture. The Swiss psychologist Carl Jung devoted a large part of his work to the study of “meaningful coincidences”, or synchronicity, and how seemingly chance occurrences can move our lives forward significantly.
While on the other hand, serendipity can be more described as good fortune, luck, or a fortunate accident. It’s the effect by which you accidentally discover something fortunate, especially while looking for something else entirely.
How One Can Create Serendipity
Let’s take a moment and enjoy this YouTube video where Jason Silva explains how serendipity can be created.
Justaposition – an act or instance of placing close together or side by side, especially for comparison or contrastWikipedia
In summary, Jason Silva reminds us of Erik Davis these points:
- Moments of unexpected relevance
- Erik Davies said that serendipity lives in the space of juxtaposition.
- He says that juxtaposition is the basic formal operating space of serendipity, a space that you are more likely to make unexpected connections between subjects.
- It’s about the juxtaposition of extremes that creates that formal operating space of serendipity. of extremes that creates that formal operating space of serendipity.
What Does Serendipity Mean To You?
What does serendipity mean to you? Listen to these five different explanations below.
It was serendipity that I put one quarter in the gumball machine and three came out.”— Clarrissa Langley, May 04, 2018
The action of making happy discoveries, by accidents and sagacity, of some thing not initially in quest of.— Vandal Savage, May 21, 2018
‘I lost a needle in a hay stack last week, however whilst looking for it I found the farmers daughter’ – I had to consider this (as she was pretty and willing) a stroke of serendipity.
The act of ‘stumbling’ upon something good or fortunate. Something that makes you happy.== Rebecca Johnson, June 21, 2018
I found myself walking along the streets of New York City thinking of the hit romantic comedy ‘Serendipity‘. For some odd reason, I suddenly stopped walking to answer my cellphone. When I looked up, I saw I was right in front of the small boutique shop known as ‘Serendipity’. If that doesn’t describe the brilliance of sheer serendipity, I don’t know what does.
Last year, my husband, my daughter Nadean, and I were driving thru Arizona on our way to California. We intentionally decided to take a ‘side road’ and check out Sedona. OMG, with every-single-turn traveling south on Arizona Highway 180… it was truly a ‘serendipitious’ adventure. One we never expected and two, we will always remember the feelings of overwhelming joy and happiness.— Beth Elkassih, August 11, 2018
I love the idea that some things in our life may happen due to fate or a chance ‘serendipitous’ meeting. Do you know a couple who met like this? It’s like they are ‘soul mates’ who were destined to end up finding one another!
If you’re a hopeless romantic and can’t get enough, you need to definitely check out the movie entitled, ‘Serendipity‘. It is a 2001 American romantic comedy film directed by Peter Chelsom, written by Marc Klein, and starring John Cusack.
It received rave reviews and is considered a classic and is often used as a true example of ‘romantic serendipity’. I’m sure you can find it on one of your local cable channels or on RedBox.
10 Fun Ways To Spread the Joy of Serendipity
The extraordinary is occurring all around us. There are ways when wonderful things happen, we can make a conscious effort to be open to receive them.
The question is, do we embrace these events, are we open to surprise or are we trying to control every outcome and end up missing out on the magic of serendipity?
Check out this 10 fun ways to spread the joy of serendipity and feel the ‘happiness’ as a ummphh… serendipity bonus!
♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦
- Break your routine and go someplace new … and don’t take a book, a magazine or your cell. Greet each person you see with a simple smile and see what happens.
- Call up an old friend or relative that you haven’t spoken to in some time. It will be a ‘serendipity call’ to them! And see the joy by their reaction.
- Leave $1 or $5 or your favorite book somewhere that someone else will stumble upon it innocuously.
- Experienced outstanding customer service for a change? Why not write a letter of praise and mail it to them with a copy to their boss? Can you imagine how much joy that person will feel?
- Take a random ‘road trip’ and take the country roads for a change. This works especially true if you’re in a scenic travel destination and just allow yourself to experience nature behaving at its finest.
- Celebrate the unknown, the incorrect and the idiotic. Many of the greatest discoveries come from accidents and failures.
- Speaking of nature, why not ‘out of the blue’ find a park and simply take a walk. And while doing so, notice the surroundings that you never noticed before. Listen to the birds, watch a squirrel scurry up a nearby tree. You get the picture.
- Look UP! Especially on a sunny day with jumbo Cumulus clouds overhead. God daily paints ‘serendipity artwork’ for all to appreciate!
- Volunteer and become a Mentor. By doing so, you are opening yourself up to the Universe to be introduced to someone new and who is in need of your knowledge and expertise. In turn, you are a ‘serendipity’ event for them as well. Who knows, this introduction may lead to extraordinary events.
- Witness the magical powers of ‘social media serendipity’! Technologies are being created every day to increase our chances of “bumping into” something or someone we aren’t expecting, but greatly need. **SPECIAL NOTE: It is thru this ‘social media serendipity’, and experiencing a technical website problem, that landed me in discovering the most pleasant web developer who offered his unsolicited help in troubleshooting. Result? He’s my personal web developer to this day!**
Serendipity – In Conclusion
Today, make it your practice to appreciate the good things in life that are always out there, waiting to be recognized and acknowledged. You don’t need to worry about why they are happening, just enjoy and witness that they are.
Join in the conversation below and share what the latest serendipity surprise you have received!