Discover the top spiritual books that will impact your life and spirituality!
Table of Contents
Do you struggle with your own spirituality?
Maybe you’re looking for a book that will help you become more spiritually grounded. If you are, then this article is for you.
In this blog post, we are going to go over some of the top spiritual books that can be used to deepen your own personal spiritual growth. In turn, by connecting on a deeper level with your own spirituality, you will find it will make your own faith more devout.
What is spirituality?
Spirituality is the act of connecting or aligning with your own soul or spirit.
It is often associated with faith and religion, but not always. The best spiritual books have something to offer everyone no matter what their religion or belief system.
According to Merriam-Webster, spirituality is “the pursuit of harmony with one’s surroundings or nature, or one’s deepest ideals and beliefs.”
Spirituality can be incredibly personal and subjective, but it is important to note that not all spiritual practices are religious in nature. Some people believe that spirituality can only be experienced through the practice of meditation, and others believe that spirituality can be found in many other alternative or holistic ways.
What is the difference between being spiritual vs being religious?
Many people will look at a word like “spiritual” and immediately think of a person’s connection to God or religion. While those things certainly play a role in spirituality, they aren’t necessarily the only thing associated with spirituality.
In short, spirituality is the practice of living in alignment with one’s highest values, morality and purpose in life. The word “spiritual” is often associated with religion, but is not always the case.
A lot of people call themselves spiritual but they are also very religious. At the same time, there are also plenty of people who don’t call themselves “religious” at all but are still deeply connected to God.
All various followers can be found in a wide variety of faith traditions and often share a deep relationship with God.
These top spiritual books provided will help you deepen your own personal spirituality and for those who believe, strengthen your personal relationship with God or your Creator.
These top spiritual books are all about helping us find more meaning in our lives and in turn, will deepen your spirituality bond.
A spiritual book that will change your life is a book that makes you think, makes you feel, and inspires you. It is a book that will make you a better person, a more loving person, and a stronger person. It may even strengthen your own faith in being more devout in your chosen religious beliefs.
This is a list of 15 of the top spiritual books that have the ability to dramatically impact your life. Several are those I myself have read. Several of the titles you may recognize.
In the next section, I shall discuss more in-depth those books which made the most impact in my own personal spiritual journey.
1. The Alchemist — Alchemy is the art of transformation. This is the book that talks about how you can use your spiritual beliefs to transform your life and the lives of others.
2. The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle is another great spiritual book that has had a huge influence on my life. It focuses on living in the present moment and helping you to become aware of what is actually happening right now. It also helps you to overcome obstacles in your life and focus on what you really want in your life.
3. The Way of the Superior Man by Rubert Mederos is one of the best books on spirituality I have read. It talks about a way of life that focuses on self-improvement, personal growth, and the development of your character. It is also one of the best books for people who want to develop their own leadership skills.
4. The Secret by Rhonda Byrne is another great spiritual book that has had a huge influence on my life. It talks about the power of the subconscious mind and how you can use it to achieve all your goals. It also teaches you how to attract the things you want into your life.
5. The Power of Intention by Wayne Dyer talks about the importance of setting goals in life and achieving them. It also focuses on helping you to overcome any obstacles in your life and become the person you want to be.
6. A Course in Miracles by Helen Schucman is about the power of forgiveness and how we can learn to love ourselves and others. It also teaches us how to forgive ourselves and others for our mistakes and imperfections.
7. The Untethered Soul is a book by Michael Singer – In most of his books, you will find a lot of information about how meditation and finding inner peace can significantly impact your life, particularly from a spiritual perspective.
8. The Art of Happiness is a book collaboration between Dr. Howard Cutler and Tenzin Gyatso (the 14th Dalai Lama). The Dalai Lama believes that people’s movements and decisions are centered around the pursuit of happiness.
They discuss the search for ultimate happiness and life satisfaction through both a scientific and metaphysical viewpoint. The book explores how happiness can be attained through the “systematic training of our hearts and minds.”
9. The Celestine Prophecy by James Redfield. “The Celestine Prophecy”. A parable filled with vital truth that reads like a gripping adventure tale, it begins with the disappearance of an ancient Peruvian manuscript. Although few Westerners know of its existence and a government wants to suppress it, this precious document contains an important secret: the 9 insights the human race is predicted to grasp as we enter an era of true spiritual awareness.
10. The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz with Janet Mills. This is A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom is a self-help book. The book offers a code of conduct claiming to be based on ancient Toltec wisdom that advocates freedom from self-limiting beliefs that may cause suffering and limitation in a person’s life.
11. Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. An intensely articulate and moving memoir of self-discovery, Eat, Pray, Love is about what can happen when you claim responsibility for your own contentment and stop trying to live in imitation of society’s ideals. It is certain to touch anyone who has ever woken up to the unrelenting need for change.
12. The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren. Taking the form of a forty-day personal spiritual journey, the book explores what Warren says are God’s five purposes for human life on Earth, and describes itself as a blueprint for devout living in faith in the modern day.
13. Radical Forgiveness by Collin Tipping. This book conveys the idea that we all make agreements with each other in order to learn the lessons we need to here in life. That everything we experience is divinely coordinated so that we can grow.
It challenges us to think much differently about forgiveness. Instead of blame and judgment, Radical Forgiveness emphasizes wholeness, purposefulness and the absence of blame.
14. The Book of Joy: Lasting Happiness in a Changing World by Dalai Lama IV and Desmond Tutu. Based on a 7-day meeting by theologian and anti-apartheid activist Desmond Tutu and his holiness the Dalai Lama at the latter’s home in Dharamsala, India. The Book of Joy addresses the question; how can we find joy in the face of suffering?
15. A New Earth – Awakening to your Life’s Purpose by Eckhart Tolle. Tolle describes how our attachment to the ego creates the dysfunction that leads to anger, jealousy, and unhappiness, and shows readers how to awaken to a new state of consciousness and follow the path to a truly fulfilling existence.
These 15 books listed definitely have been very influential for spiritual seekers from all over the globe. Select those that resonate with you personally in inspiring you to further your own journey of spirituality.
Now it is my turn. When I selected this topic to write on, I was super excited to share my own personal spiritual journey.
I call myself a ‘Truth Seeker’ and I always prided myself on being able to be respectful of others’ beliefs. I have always felt that there is a distinct difference between being ‘spiritual’ vs ‘religious’.
To me, when one is ‘spiritual’ then you have aligned yourself (and your soul) to your own one-on-one personal relationship with your Creator, God, Allah, etc. I credit life experience and immersing myself in gaining knowledge and enlightenment in developing and strengthening my own spirituality.
Every day my journey continues. I provide the following five books that have totally transformed my life. Regardless of what your religious faith may be, reading these five will leave you not only spiritually enlightened, as it did for me… but provides thought-provoking content. As a result, of reading all these specific books, I used the knowledge received in making life-changing decisions on how I live my life.
Before I provide a summary of this amazing book, please indulge me with this true story…
When I was in my late twenties, I found myself on vacation in the San Diego area and happened to visit an exclusive ‘Art Gallery’ in upscale La Jolla, California.
For whatever reason, I was led to go inside and was very curious to see what art was displayed. Yes, I did note that a beautiful glistening brown Rolls Royce was parked at the front entrance.
I didn’t think much of it, because, of course, only the rich upper-class would be able to afford this type of luxury. But without hesitation, I went inside even though I knew I was of meager means. I prided myself on having a strong sense of my own personal value and simply wanted to appreciate whatever art or ‘paintings’ were on display in the Gallery.
As I walked around the Gallery, I became intrigued with one specific piece of sculpture. Somewhat startled, this distinguished-looking older gentleman, obviously from Asian descent, approached me and simply said: “How are you? This is a lovely piece, do you not agree?”
We proceeded to engage in a delightful conversation. Then when I was leaving the Gallery, he approached me again and with the warmest ‘smile’, he says to me, “What is your name?” I responded with my first name only, “Beth”. He then said with genuine sincerity, “Beth, it’s a pleasure to have met you and I wish for you to have the best day ever!”
Fast forward three months later, I was shopping in my local ‘Barnes and Noble’ bookstore. As mentioned before, I am a ‘truth seeker’ and always was on the lookout for great books that made me think. Eventually, I found myself in the ‘Self-Improvement’ aisle next to the ‘Spiritual and Religious’ section.
While scanning the various titles, etc. my eyes stopped when I came across this rather small and thin book. It caught my eye. I loved the title: “The 7 Spiritual Laws of Success – A Practical Guide to the Fulfillment of Your Dreams.” The author’s name was Deepak Chopra. I opened it up immediately to read the introduction.
Upon closing the book, I became frozen in my tracks… right there in front of me on the back sleeve of the book was a photo. It was a photo of the author — Deepak Chopra. This was the gentleman I met at the Art Gallery in La Jolla, California!!!
I was beside myself. Shivers went up thru my spine. When I visited that Art Gallery, I had no idea who this influential man was. I mean, look, I knew he had to be affluent. But in my eyes, he was just like me. Enjoying art. He could have said who he was, but he didn’t. He was authentic, genuine and simply kind.
There are no coincidences in this life. Everything happens for a reason. I bought the book. It was meant to be.
This book is based on natural laws governing all of creation. It focuses on seven laws and/or philosophical concepts. They are:
Chopra emphasizes that we need to apply these laws in our lives if we want to reach our dreams and accomplish our deepest desires.
Chopra is an Indian-American author of spiritual books and an advocate of holistic medicine.
If you are a believer in natural laws and how they affect our daily lives, I highly recommend checking this book out.
Approximately 4 billion people or more than half of the estimated 7.7 billion people residing in this world are followers of Abrahamic religions.
These followers all believe in the same God/Allah originating from the Prophet Abraham, aka Ibrahim. Islam, Christianity and Judaism are the three main Abrahamic religions because Abraham – or Ibrahim – is important to them all.
The four sacred texts associated with these religions are powerful books and each teaches their followers the proper way to live their life and to attain passage to Heaven or Jannah in the afterlife. I encourage you to take the time to get to know each.
According to the digital encyclopedia, Britannica, the meaning of “Torah” is often restricted to signify the first five books of the Hebrew Bible (Old Testament), also called the Law (or the Pentateuch, in Christianity). These are the books traditionally ascribed or given to Moses, the recipient of the original revelation from God on Mount Sinai.
The Ten Commandments is the major tenant of the teachings from God handed down to Moses on Mount Sinai conveying key rules on how to live life.
The spirituality of the Old Testament is the importance of being fair and just and help those who are the most vulnerable. Some of its teachings involve teaching those in power to not be judgmental or bias.
The Old Testament forbids corruption, and dishonesty, especially when trading. Furthermore, all morality for all followers are recorded and tracked back to God, who is the source of all goodness and who will ultimately judge us on the Last Day.
Per SparkNotes, “The New Testament is a collection of twenty-seven books centered on the figure of Jesus of Nazareth. The books of the New Testament are traditionally divided into three categories: the Gospels, the Epistles, and the Book of Revelation.”
The main theme throughout the New Testament is God’s immense love for mankind. Through the life of Jesus of Nazareth, he portrays absolute goodness and how we should live our lives through his ministry while performing miracles and parables of divine revelation from God.
Per the website, learnreligions.com, “The Quran is the holy book of the Islamic world. Collected over a 23-year period during the 7th century C.E., the Quran consists of Allah’s revelations to the Prophet Muhammad, transmitted through the angel Gabriel.”
Four facts that many followers of the Jewish and Christian faiths may not be aware of are the following:
For me, the Quran answers life’s biggest questions. For instance, where did we come from… why were we created… who is God… why is there suffering in the world… where do we go after dying…
The Quran is easy to read (English translation). It’s like a life manual on how to live our everyday life. It provides detailed instructions and guidance on the goodness of life and how we can attain it.
So again, what is spirituality? What does it mean to you?
As stated earlier, spirituality is the act of connecting or aligning with your own soul or spirit.
It is about reaching your potential via your inner self. It is constantly seeking knowledge and to be nourished with wisdom and empowerment from within.
The best spiritual books have something to offer everyone no matter what our religion or belief system is.